EDITOR: SPORT AND NATURAL HISTORY
Bloomsbury Publishing is looking for an experienced Editor to work across two very special lists in our London office.
Our world-leading Natural History list includes the highly regarded Christopher Helm Field Guides, a publishing partnership with the RSPB and titles on mammals, plants and trees. Our fantastic Sports list features high-quality writing on a wide variety of sports – from football and cricket to cycling and horseracing – and includes the famous Wisden imprint.
The role involves managing a number of full-colour and mono books through the editorial process from manuscript delivery and cover design through to publication, and requires working with authors, agents, freelancers, suppliers, illustrators, designers and in-house colleagues.
- Establishing good relationships with authors and agents
- Maintaining schedules for projects and taking titles through to publication
- Briefing and managing freelancers, undertaking copy-editing or proofreading in-house as required
- Liaising with authors, designers and proofreaders, collating comments and ensuring final files are ready for press on budget and on schedule
- Writing Advance Information sheets, briefing jackets and writing copy
- Working with the Rights Department to gather materials for foreign editions
- Preparing sample spreads and blads for use at book fairs, sales conferences
- Attending industry events.
Skills, knowledge, experience
- 18 months’ – 2 years’ editorial experience in illustrated book publishing
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Excellent proofreading and copy-editing skills
- Ability to write strong sales copy and blurbs
- Ability to prioritise and use own initiative, juggling several projects at one time
- Solid time-management skills to cope with competing deadlines as well as working across two departments
- Experience of working on photo-shoots desirable
- Basic knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator useful.
- Interest in sports and natural history a distinct advantage.
To apply, please send a CV, covering letter, current salary details and notice period to Sally Coleman, Human Resources Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for this role is Monday 26th August 2013.